Sports Talk, Sports Video Game Talk, Sports Rumors & Sports Logos

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Yankees Sweep Mets!



The first half of the Subway Series is over and the New York Yankees have taken the first 3 games from the Mets. Friday night the Yankees just pounced on Johan Santana and lit him up for 6 runs in 5 innings running Johan's ERA at the New Yankee Stadium to 12.21 in a 9-1 Yankee win. The Yankees would then take Game 2 on Saturday 4-2 thanks to a go ahead home run by Mark Teixeira in the 6th. The Sweep was completed Sunday after the Mets jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the 2nd but a Russell Martin home run in the 7th and a Mark Teixeira RBI single in the 8th drew the Yankees even with the Mets. A misplayed fly ball into shallow right field cause Alex Rodriguez to reach base and drive in Curtis Granderson giving the Yankees a 4-3 lead going into the 9th. Rafael Soriano would give up an RBI double to Ike Davis in the top of the 9th to blow the save and bring the score back even at 4. After Boone Logan came in to shut the Mets down in the 9th, Russell Martin wasted no time blasting his 2nd home run of the game and giving the Yankees their first walk-off home run since September 8, 2010 and their first home sweep of the Mets since 2003.

(my shirt says MESS, not Mets)

As I stated Friday, I attended Sunday's game and it was by far the best game I've been to in years. I attended with my cousin Justin who was making his first appearance at the New Yankee Stadium. We enjoyed batting practice from the left field & Justin was tossed a BP ball from Miguel Batista but the ball was snagged by a kid who shoved me to go in and scoop it (bastard!), I felt bad for Justin (whos a few months older then I am but still the ball was going his way, it wasn't right!!). I was hoping that I wouldn't be sitting through a blowout either way and after the top of the 2nd I'll admit I was expecting to see one. Andy Pettitte did settle down after that and looked like the Pettitte of old compiling 8 strikeouts and collecting his 100th career pickoff in the process. Pettitte also had an amazing barehanded grab in the 6th, after Joe Girardi did a good John Rocker impression and sprinted to the mound to check on Andy who would stay in the game. It was a pretty bleak day so far for me until Russell Martin's first homer. I wasn't expecting the walk-off as quickly as it happened but I'll take it. Quiet Met fans are always fun to see, in my opinion. The Yankees will play in Atlanta, in Washington, back home for another Atlanta series and then the "road" series against the Mets.

No comments:

Post a Comment