Sports Talk, Sports Video Game Talk, Sports Rumors & Sports Logos

Friday, June 8, 2012

Subway Series 2012 Preview


It's that time of the year again for New York baseball, the Subway Series between the Yankees of the American League & the Mets of the National League. The first time they played in the regular season was on June 16, 1997 with the Mets winning the first contest 6-0 at the Old Yankee Stadium but the Yankees would win the inaugural Series 2 games to 1. The greatest year in this rivalry was 2000, the Yankees won the regular season series 5 games to 1 including a Day-Night double header on July 8th where the Day game was played at Shea Stadium and the Night game was played at Yankee Stadium (the first time a double header was played in 2 different stadiums since 1903), the late game included the infamous Mike Piazza head-shot by Roger Clemens which gave Piazza a concussion. Who knew that the July 8th double header treat would be a tease for what would come later that season...

the 2000 World Series between the Yankees and Mets. It was a memorable series because for the first time since 1956 the Fall Classic was held solely in New York. The Yankees would take the 2000 World Series 4 games to 1.

Since 1997 the Mets have only won the season series twice 2004(4-2),08(4-2) while the Yankees have won the series: 1997(2-1),98(2-1),2000(5-1),01(4-2),03(6-0),09(5-1),11(4-2) & the 2000 World Series (4-1). They've tied at 3-3 in 1999, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2010.

This is my favorite time for the Yankees in the regular season, I know a lot of Mets fans and actually my mother's side of my family (minus my mother & my late grandmother) are Mets fans while my father's side is all Yankee fans. This rivalry gets very tense & the growth of social media has definitely intensified it. Back when they use to have Interleague play during the month of July the Subway Series use to happen around my birthday so my birthday parties use to see a mix of Yankee & Met shirts, that to me made my birthday parties more and more special. I enjoy the trash talking I do with my friends when it comes to the Subway Series, my friend Brandon & my other friend who lives in Barnegat are big Mets fans. My friend from Barnegat is a truly diehard Mets fan & it's been a battle going back & forth with trash talking since the 2005 season, it's always fun! If you're reading this from anywhere outside the New York Market, believe me when I tell you this rivalry is more intense for the fans then it is with the players, it's all about the bragging rights. I will be in attendance on Sunday afternoon with my cousin Justin (a Mets fan).

I'll be posting game by game results this weekend.

I'm sorry to any Met fans who are reading this, I have to say...
GO YANKEES!!
Enjoy the Subway Series & any other Interleague match-up you may be watching this weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment